At Hendra State School, we endeavour to provide our students with as many diverse learning opportunities as possible. The school prides itself on being able to offer our students a range of different activities ranging from cultural and sporting activities to activities designed to add to the educational experience at Hendra State School. These activities include:
- Hendra State School is unique in that each class undergoes a five week horse-riding/familiarisation program in conjunction with Cherbon Waters Equestrian Centre. The program aims primarily to increase student willingness to undertake challenges and be more confident in approaching tasks that appear too difficult to attempt. We believe this has a 'flow on' effect to the classroom, as children who are prepared to undertake and attempt tasks they consider difficult are more likely to successfully engage and complete these activities thereby greatly enhancing the learning opportunities for all students.
- All students from Prep to Year 6 attend swimming classes for a weeklong block in Term 4 at Clayfield College Swimming Centre.
- Hendra State School promotes participation in trials of various sports for representation in the City Districts Teams. These sports include: rugby league, swimming, cross country and netball to name a few. Students between 10 and 12 are encouraged to attend.
- Students in the upper class attend a school camp as part of their educational experience and opportunity for outdoor learning. This year our students went to Currumbin Community Farm Campus to develop their leadership and team building skills.
- Students participate in the Instrumental Music Outreach Program. The program is based at Kelvin Grove State College and sees the students engage in online sessions with an instrumental music teacher once a week, with regular visits over the year. Students are also invited to attend music camps. Our students are currently learning flute, clarinet, trumpet and drums.
- The annual ICAS Tests from the UNSW are available for students in years 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.